Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Am I the ONLY person in the world that is happy Windows Vista has been delayed?

[Please raise your "rant" shields]
I sure feel like the odd-man out when I read the "news" reporting that Windows Vista will be delayed a few more months. Forbes took the opportunity to knock Microsoft just in general. One "analyst" reported on Ziff-Davis' site that "This is not good for the whole industry..." IMHO, I will tell you what is not good for the PC industry, software that is not ready to be released. That hurts the consumer, the hardware manufacturers (that must support it), information technology, and even Microsoft.

If a product is not going to be ready to ship when ANY software vendor originally annouced, no one should be throwing stones. The vendor is under tremendous financial and customer pressure to get software releases out the door. Pressuring them to meet an "expected" release date makes things no better. I would really like to see some of these analysts manage 50,000,000 lines of code and produce a secure, stable, marketable, and usable product.

I am quick to criticize Microsoft when I think they are due. Usually when they release a product too soon or they cut features to make a ship date. I do, however, appreciate the complexity of software development (and am glad I don't do it for a living!) But no one should be criticizing a software company that is being up-front and saying "we need to work on this a little longer to make it 'People Ready'"
[Okay, you can shutdown your rant shield now.]

1 Comments:

At 2:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You are not alone ;-)
I fully agree with this; quality should be a priority especially with the plethora of products that Microsoft is releasing in the coming year.
We have our hands full as it is; without dealing with buggy and unfinished products.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home